The Hercules sponsored Solway Sharks defeated the Sheffield Steeldogs on Sunday evening at Ice Sheffield. Curtis Warburton, Sharks netminder, made his debut appearance against his former team.

Sharks score 2 in the first period to take the early advantage.

The first period of the game began with both sides playing a high-intensity, hard-hitting hockey game. It was end-to-end action, with both teams having chances to score.

The Sharks got on the board first, with Ross Murray seizing a loose puck and blasting it past Steeldogs goaltender Dmitri Zimozdra.

For the second goal, John Dunbar was picked out with tremendous vision by Kell Beattie, who then fought the Steeldogs defenceman for room to release the puck, which creeped into the net to make it 0-2.

The Steeldogs strike back

In the second period, the Steeldogs cut the Shark’s lead in half and began pressing the Shark’s defencemen and goalie for last-second blocks and interceptions. They scored on the powerplay, with Vladislavs Vulkanovs scoring off an assist from Matt Bissonnette.

Steeldogs continued to create chances in pursuit of that equalising goal after being the only scorers in the second period, while Sharks pushed to increase their lead by creating chances of their own.

Steeldogs Captain Jonathan Kirk found Vladislavs Vulkanovs on the powerplay, who scored past the Sharks to level the game.

Sharks at the double to secure the victory

The Sharks increased their pressure after losing their two-goal advantage and began to create opportunities to regain the lead. Bari McKenzie found Nolan Gardiner, who seized possession of the puck and buried it into the net to reclaim the lead.

The Steeldogs persisted in trying to tie the score, but the Sharks were the ones to score and win. To secure the victory on the road, Bari Mckenzie wound up after receiving the puck from John Dunbar and blasted the puck past Dmitri Zimozdra.

MoM – Jonathan Phillips

MoM – Mason Alderson

Photo Credit : Stephen Turton photography